WHY YOU SHOULD BACK UP YOUR FILES
Data is the most important aspect of your computer. The operating system can be reinstalled and so can applications, but it may be difficult or impossible to recreate your original data.
It is essential that you always back up your important information and have a plan for recovering from a system failure. An attacker could crash a computer’s operating system or data may be corrupted or wiped out by a hardware problem. Computers can be lost, stolen, or destroyed in a fire or other catastrophe.
You should back up your personal or critical work data on a regular basis. This means copying your files over to a protected system that you can access when those files are needed.
Computer crashes – always happen when you least need it, and can lead to data loss.
Virus Infection – aggressive malicious viruses can corrupt files and disable computers.
Hard drive failure – hard drives have a finite lifetime and can fail suddenly and without warning. The sudden death of a hard drive can cause the painful loss of months or years of irreplaceable files and the timing can be catastrophic – if this happens close to a work or college deadline it could be a nightmare scenario.
Most of the SMB companies do have backup solutions as those data was very important and might harm their business in critical way. But still, not all company do have a proper backup solution, below is the categories.
- Company did purchased backup software, but require IT personnel to manually perform the backup job when needed – If IT personnel not in office/on leave, then will be no backup
- Backup solutions was done by other IT company, but there is no maintenance and monitoring on the backup – End user will never know is the backup schedule is running, or maybe the backup completed with errors, recovery with error backup source definitely is big issues.
- There is require to perform data restore on virtual environment on the backed up image, to ensure the backup file able to restore back when needed. This schedule need to be done at least once a year/twice a year, depend on the data criticality.
- And last, some of the company do purchase the software, but not even know how to do a proper backup.
TYPE OF BACKUP
Backup can be store in local, which backed up data will storage in company itself. In additional, client can storage the backup file in remote location, which this can be safe from flood/fire, or been break-in.
Backup can be backup to disk or backup to Tape, basically backup to disk is store in local and backup to Tape is store in remote location.
WE DO HAVE EXPERIENCE ENGINEER ON BACKUP SOLUTION TO SERVE YOU, FEEL FREE TO CONTACT US FOR FUTURE DETAIL. WE PROVIDE SERVICE FOR ONSITE CONSULTATION FOR YOUR EXISTING BACKUP SOLUTION IS FIT YOUR BUSINESS OR WE MIGHT PURPOSE FOR YOU.
ADDITIONAL NOTES : GOOD PRACTICE FOR BACKUPS
- Encrypt backups that contain sensitive data
- Keep extra backups off-site in a secure location (in case of property damage)
- Verify your backups to make sure files are retrievable
- Sanitize or destroy your backups (e.g., tapes, CDs) before discarding them